We Interviewed 138 African Beneficiaries of the $500 Million MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program to learn about the secrets behind their successful application process.
First, we examined their pieces of information to see if they were qualified given the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship requirements.
Then, we looked at how factors like SAT, TOEFL, or IELTS tests, reference letters, high academic standards, leadership qualities according to the institution’s requirements, and sentiment, affect your chances of becoming a beneficiary.
Thanks to the data provided by careersngr, we were able to get scholarship data from several different scholarship beneficiaries.
So without further ado, let’s see what $500 Million MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program is all for.
- 1 Explanation of what $500 Million MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program is all about
- 2 Who can apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Award Program Scholarship?
- 3 What does MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program cover?
- 4 MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Partner Institutions for Graduate Candidates
- 5 How to apply for MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program
- 6 MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program Application Timeline
Explanation of what $500 Million MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program is all about
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program is a sub-Saharan African Scholarship Awards Program that commenced in 2012, to help 138 talented African students with an outstanding academic record and strong leadership potential, but who face financial and other barriers to accessing higher education.
Since launching in 2012, it has supported nearly 40,000 young people in Africa to pursue their secondary or tertiary education through partnerships with over 130 forward-looking organizations in Africa, America, and Europe to provide greater access to education, training, and financial services for economically disadvantaged people to Africa’s youth.
It will interest you to know that, over six years (2017 – 2022), the Scholars Program funds:
- 20 sub-Saharan Africans to complete the Sciences Po Bachelor of Arts programme, Africa specialisation
- 50 sub-Saharan Africans to complete a Master’s programme at one of our seven graduate schools
- 68 sub-Saharan African for Mastercard Foundation Scholars who studied at other partner universities and who wanted to attend Sciences Po Summer School.
Who can apply for the MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Award Program Scholarship?
Applications for the scholarship usually take place between the months of October and December. Candidates who can apply for this scholarship must meet all of the following criteria:
- Be a resident and citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country;
- Have at least a Bachelor’s degree at the start of the following academic year for individuals applying for the graduate (Master’s) degree;
- Be holding or currently pursuing a Master’s degree;
- Be under 35;
- Minimum C1 level in English or French depending on the programme you are applying to (see language requirements) and A2 level in French;
- Be able to show that you lack the financial means to pursue higher education (please note that you will be asked to submit documentation attesting to your financial needs).
- Candidates must apply online on the dedicated website.
- Give personal information;
- Attach a letter of recommendation from the institution supporting their application to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program;
- Provide information and proof concerning their educational and extra-curricular experiences.
- Must outline their diverse experiences and their vision of the issues that specifically affect the African continent.
What does MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program cover?
- Leadership Skills Development,
- Internship Opportunities,
- and Career Services in addition to covering tuition and basic living expenses
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Partner Institutions for Graduate Candidates
|Benin||Université d’Abomey Calavi|
|Ghana||Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology|
|Ghana||University of Cape Coast|
|Ghana||University of Ghana|
|Ivory Coast||Campus France|
|Kenya||Equity Group Foundation|
|Kenya||Hilde Back Education Fund|
|Nigeria||FAWE – Nigeria|
|Uganda||COBURWAS International Youth Organization to Transform Africa (CIYOTA)|
|Senegal||ISM – Dakar|
|South Africa||African Leadership Academy|
|South Africa||University of Pretoria|
|South Africa||University of Cape Town|
|South Africa||University of Western Cape|
How to apply for MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program
To submit your application, you must complete the following steps:
- Create your account and complete the online application
- Choose your programme(s)
- Request your References
- Take your language test
- Upload supporting documentation
- Write your motivation letter
- Pay your application fee
- Submit your Application!
MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program Application Timeline
Applications for the scholarship usually take place between the months of October and December. More information on upcoming campaigns will be announced soon.
Note: The scholarship is awarded for the duration of a Master’s programme (two years). All the Master’s programmes offered at our seven graduate schools are compatible with the scholarship, except for one-year Master’s programmes and dual-degree programmes.
Candidates must apply online on the dedicated website.
Now it’s your turn!
Are you going to apply right away? Or you’d like to check out other scholarship options given here.
If so, we would love to hear from you in the comments section.
Please note that sharing is caring.
Always visit Acadite for more scholarship updates.