Are you a Ph.D holder looking to REGISTER FOR TRCN with PhD and would like to know the topics where all your TRCN exam questions will be asked from?
In this library,
You will see and download TRCN exam syllabus for PhD holders (PhD in Education, or in any other field but with PDE) which contain all the topics where TRCN exam questions for this year will be asked from.
- 1 TRCN exam syllabus for PhD holders
- 1.1 PQE 001: History of Education
- 1.2 PQE 002: Philosophy of Education
- 1.3 PQE 003: Sociology of Education
- 1.4 PQE 004: Educational Psychology: Child, Adolescence & Adult Psychology; Human Learning
- 1.5 PQE 005: Guidance & Counseling — Theory & Practice
- 1.6 PQE 006: The Teaching Profession
- 1.7 PQE 007: Teacher Education
- 1.8 PQE 008: Classroom Management & School Organisation
- 1.9 PQE 009: Educational Technology/Information and Communication Technology in Education
- 1.10 PQE 010: Subject Methodology
- 1.11 PQE 011: Theory and Practice of Child-Friendly Schools (CFS)
- 2 PQE 012: Curriculum Studies
- 2.1 PQE 013: Measurement and Evaluation
- 2.2 PQE 014: Educational Management
- 2.3 PQE 015: Special Education
- 2.4 PQE 016: Education of Special Target Groups/Adult Education
- 2.5 PQE 017: Comparative Education
- 2.6 PQE 018: Educational Statistics
- 2.7 PQE 019: Educational Research Methods
- 2.8 PQE 020: English Language & Communication Skills
- 2.9 PQE 021: Use of the Library
- 2.10 PQE 022: Basic Mathematics
- 2.11 PQE 023: Micro Teaching Theory
- 3 Download TRCN syllabus for PhD holders now
The TRCN exam will cover 23 areas under Education, most especially ICT, English, Use of Library, Mathematics, Educational Statistics and Research Methods.
The guides to these areas are contained in this syllabus.
This syllabus for TRCN exam is the same for all categories of teachers but the level of understanding and analysis required get advanced from Category D to Category A.
TRCN exam syllabus for PhD holders
As a PhD holder (which is category A), you are also required to cover the syllabus of category D (NCE), Category C (Degree), Category B (Masters)
…along with the TRCN syllabus for PhD below.
The PDF version of this TRCN syllabus is available for your FREE download at the bottom of this library.
PQE 001: History of Education
1. History of Western, traditional and Islamic Education in Nigeria and their impact on present system of Education in Nigeria.
- Educational development in Nigeria with emphasis on the evolution of current educational policies and practices.
- Traditional, Islamic and modern systems of education in Nigeria.
- The role of educational supervisory commissions in policy making.
- The National Policy on Education and the Nigerian Constitution.
- Appraising Nigeria’s general educational challenges and proposing remedies in the context of historical lessons and experiences of Nigeria and other countries.
PQE 002: Philosophy of Education
2. Philosophical Thought that influenced Educational development and practices around the world and in Nigeria.
- Basic philosophical thoughts in education.
- Educational ideas and practices from ancient times and their influence on modern practices.
- Philosophical thoughts underlying Nigerian education.
- Appraising Nigeria’s general educational challenges and proposing remedies in the context plausible philosophical thought around the world and Nigeria.
PQE 003: Sociology of Education
3. Sociological foundations of education; influence of sociological factors on Nigerian education and the transformation of society through education. Emerging issues – Gender, Security, Out- of- School, Family Life, Albinism, Child Trafficking, etc.
- Basic concepts of sociology.
- Nature of society, primary and secondary groups in society, ethnic groups, minority groups.
- Education and social change.
- The teacher’s role in society.
- The school as a social organisation.
- Features of industrial and non-industrial societies and their influence on education.
PQE 004: Educational Psychology: Child, Adolescence & Adult Psychology; Human Learning
4. Human Development and Human Learning
- Theories of learning; their classroom implications on various Educational practices.
- Developmental stages in childhood, adolescence and adulthood.
- Interaction processes within the environment and the influence of this on intellectual, social and Learning
- how to learn;
- barriers to study;
- identification of students reactions to barriers to study;
- remedies to barriers to study;
- preparation and use of check sheets for instruction;
- management of a material-based instruction.
- Communication skills for teachers emotional development.
PQE 005: Guidance & Counseling — Theory & Practice
5. Administration and organisation of Guidance services
- Rationale, scope and nature of Guidance and Counseling services in educational and community settings.
- Multiple approaches of such services with emphasis on role of counselors in needs assessment programme planning, consultation and coordination of services for diverse populations.
- Study of problems, issues, trends and ethical responsibility in the field of Guidance and Counseling.
- Principles and methods of developing and administering guidance programmes in the school setting – at the primary, secondary and tertiary levels.
- Practical programmes and issues in Nigeria, e.g. problems connected with testing programmes, inter-personal relationships, finance, etc.
PQE 006: The Teaching Profession
6. Provisions of the TRCN Act CAP T3 and TRCN mandates, programmes, successes, challenges and way forward. Roles of subject and professional associations in the development of the teaching profession.
- Historical development of teaching as a profession in Nigeria.
- Provisions of the TRCN Act 31 of 1993.
- Activities, programmes and policies of TRCN especially in the areas of
- Registration and licensing of teachers
- Mandatory continuing professional education.
- Induction and internship schemes.
- Control of professional misconduct, incompetence and negligence.
- Accreditation, monitoring and supervision of teacher education programmes. Etc.
- Review of TRCN basic publications – Teachers Code of Conduct, Nigerian Journal of Professional Teachers, etc.
- Comparisons of the regulation of teaching in Nigeria and abroad.
- Comparisons of the regulation of teaching and other professions in Nigeria.
- Successes, challenges and strategies for the advancement of the teaching profession in Nigeria.
PQE 007: Teacher Education
7. Teacher education issues and strategies for improvement; Trends in Teacher Education
- Concepts, aims and objectives of tertiary teacher education;
- Roles of the teacher in the school and as a member of a population group in Nigeria.
- Teacher education issues, problems and strategies for improvement.
PQE 008: Classroom Management & School Organisation
8. Effective management of classrooms and schools; Management of learner and school records.
- Concept of classroom management and organisation –
- class organisation,
- classroom leadership,
- classroom arrangement,
- class control,
- class discipline, etc;
- Concept and essence of school public relations;
- Factors influencing school –
- public relations;
- staff-management relations;
- student-staff relations;
- parent-staff relations;
- school environment;
- school programme;
- school performance;
- school tone.
PQE 009: Educational Technology/Information and Communication Technology in Education
9. Appreciation, design, process, application and effects of techniques in the teaching/learning situation. Integration of ICT in teaching and learning process. Other new technologies.
- Meaning, value, varieties and uses of Educational Technology.
- Audio-Visual materials, school broadcasting and ICT applications in Education.
- Selection of appropriate aids for specific lessons.
- Evaluation of effects of teaching aids on lesson effectiveness.
- Introduction to Information and Communication Technology.
- The role of ICT in Education.
- Computer appreciation.
- Computer operations –
- Typing skills.
- Computer operations –
- MS Word,
- Power Point,
- Publisher, etc.
- ICT tools for Education – Use of emails, internet, virtual library, etc.
- One computer programme along with current ICT concepts and operations.
- Use of the internet – browsing, searching, mailing, social media, etc.
PQE 010: Subject Methodology
10. Principles and Theories of teaching specific subject matter areas. Current trends in subject methodology. Improvisation; Open and Distance Learning (ODL).
- Course ware development for higher education.
- Designing new courses for higher education, writing course objectives, basic steps in course ware, development of courses for online learning.
- The aims and objectives of teaching specific subjects.
- Approaches to the teaching of the subjects.
- Selection and evaluation of materials and resources for teaching.
- Implementation of curriculum.
- Teaching and examination of syllabi.
- Preparation of course description and outlines. Benchmark considerations.
- E-learning planning.
- Peer teaching.
- A survey of curricular in relevant disciplines.
- Analysis of examination syllabi.
- Practice in test construction.
- Selection, evaluation, and preparation of materials and resources for teaching.
PQE 011: Theory and Practice of Child-Friendly Schools (CFS)
11. Creating enabling environment for teaching and learning in Nigeria.
- Concept, principles and models of CFS – definition of CFS, Key generic principles of CFS based on the Convention on the Rights of the Child, child-centredness democratic participation, inclusiveness;
- Quality as holistic and multi-dimensional;
- Characteristics of CFS –
- Principle 1 (child rights and inclusive education),
- Principle 2 (effective teaching and learning environments),
- Principle 3 (safe supportive and protective learning environments),
- Principle 4 (healthy and health-seeking learning environments),
- Principle 5 (gender sensitive learning environments),
- Principle 6 (democratic participation and partnership building);
- Policies in Nigeria that promote CFS;
- Child friendly school standards and indicators for teacher education;
- Teacher preparation for CFS – child centred interactive methodologies based on constructivist principles and activity based learner centred approach;
- Facilities and resources required for CFS; Assessment of teaching in a CFS; Technology on a CFS learning and teaching;
- Strategies for mainstreaming CFS concepts and principles in Nigeria.
PQE 012: Curriculum Studies
12. Curriculum Development and Implementation.
- Models of curriculum development and design; organisation, selection and evaluation of curriculum.
- Principles of supervision, visitation, and accreditation.
- Preparation of relevant reports.
PQE 013: Measurement and Evaluation
13. Test Construction, Administration, Analysis and Implementation.
- Concepts of measurement and evaluation in education.
- Types and uses of tests.
- Statistical methods in testing.
- The characteristics of good test – validity, reliability and usability.
- Measurement and evaluation at tertiary education level, e.g. computation and analysis of students results such as good-stranding, GPA, CGPA, weighted average, weighted score/point, and classification of students performance.
- Computer based testing, online presentation of students results, etc.
PQE 014: Educational Management
14. Management of educational programmes, institutions, personnel and other resources. Quality Assurance concepts, processes and types.
- Theories and principles of educational management.
- History of Educational planning and management.
- Types of planning;
- Manpower and social demand,
- rate of returns, conditions for success in educational planning and management.
- Problems and issues in educational management in Nigeria.
- Staff recruitment:- selection, utilization and incentive policies.
- Enrolment, administration and student welfare programmes.
- Staff-student relationship.
- Analysis of education statistics.
- National, state and local government budgets in relation to education.
- Government and private financing of primary, secondary, tertiary institutions and non-formal education.
- Principles and practice in school budgeting, wages and salary administration.
- A holistic approach to study and understanding of man emphasizing techniques of self analysis.
- Social Skill training and techniques of communication.
- Interpersonal relationships, conflict situations and resolutions.
- MDGS in Education;
- concept of Education For All (EFA),
- New Partnership for African Development (NEPAD),
- National Economic Empowerment and Development Strategy (NEEDS),
- HIV/Aids in Education,
- Public-Private Partnership
- Initiative in Education.
- The role of NGOs and other agencies in Education
PQE 015: Special Education
15. Strategies for Enhancement of Education of Person’s With Special Needs.
- Basic concepts and principles in special education.
- Recognition of students with special needs.
- Curriculum and instructional needs of gifted and physically challenged students.
PQE 016: Education of Special Target Groups/Adult Education
16. Strategies for Education of Special Target Groups.
- Introduction to adult education.
- A survey of the purpose and scope of adult education.
- The psychology and characteristics of adult learners.
- Community development, lifelong learning,
- distance learning, non-formal education, functional literacy, continuing education and mass literacy education.
- Methods of teaching adults.
- Non-formal education in Nigeria.
- The role of adult education in the development of Nigeria.
PQE 017: Comparative Education
17. Comparing Nigerian education system with the education systems in other countries and drawing from the best practices.
- Meaning and scope of comparative education.
- Methods appropriate to its study.
- The relationship between the state and education.
- Factors that influence the character of any educational system.
- Aspects of systems of education from Nigeria.
- 1-6-3-3-4 Education system in Nigeria: principles, Guidelines and implementation.
- EFA and the MDGs in education.
- Education in other countries of the world (a study of good programmes in selected countries in Africa, Asia, America and Europe); Post 2015
- Development Agenda.
PQE 018: Educational Statistics
18. Statistical foundations for educational research and measurements.
- Analysis of variance and covariance in educational experiments.
- Regression analysis, correlation and other measures of association.
- Use of ICT tools in data analysis.
PQE 019: Educational Research Methods
19. Identification of educational problems, research design, data gathering, processing, analyzing, interpreting, inferences and reporting.
- Definition of a problem and formulation of hypotheses.
- Research types in education, e.g. historical, survey, experimental, etc.
- Proposal writing for theses and grants.
- Data gathering tools in education.
- Data analysis techniques in educational research.
- Research reporting.
PQE 020: English Language & Communication Skills
20. Use of effective communication skills and fluency in English language teaching and learning situations and day-to-day interaction.
- Nature and Importance of Classroom Communication.
- Types of language problems among learners and strategies for improvement.
- Grammar: Parts of speech (nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs, adjectives, prepositions, etc); verb tenses, agreement/concord, auxiliary/models, questions, statements, commands; phrases, clauses, sentence types and patterns; direct and indirect speech, common errors; etc.
- Writing: Punctuation, outlining, logical presentation of ideas;
- Paragraphing/structure/development, logical sequencing of paragraphs;
- Compositions – narrative, descriptive, argumentative, explanatory, letter writing formal/informal;
- Report writing, memos, speeches, minutes;
- Writing styles –inductive/deductive, generalizations, etc.
- Reading: Reading problems; principles and techniques for effective reading; reading for various purposes (research, inferences, pleasure, scanning for key ideas, etc); creative reading; etc.
- Listening: Listening types; listening defects; strategies for effective listening.
PQE 021: Use of the Library
21. Effective use of the library for academic and educational research purposes; The concept and use of virtual library.
- Examination of the nature and operations of specific Library services.
- Bibliographic searching.
- Objectives, characteristics and operations of the e-library.
- Online search of materials and information on the various educational disciplines.
PQE 022: Basic Mathematics
22. Application of basic mathematics in teaching and learning and day-to-day living.
- Binary numbers, conversion from base 2 to base 10 and vice versa; sets definition, notation and diagrams;
- Basic operations on factional and whole numbers;
- Fractions, decimals, and approximations; indices and surds;
- Change of subject of formulae.
- Expansion and factorization of simple algebraic expressions; simple algebraic equations and methods of solutions;
- Simple word problems;
- Simple and compound interests;
- Variations (direct and inverse).
- Units of measurement for money, length, mass, weight, area, volumes;
- Calculations of areas and volumes of 2 and 3 dimensional shapes e.g. triangle, square, rectangles, cylinder.
- Properties and classification of 2 and 3 dimensional shapes;
- Types of angles, horizontal, vertical, parallel and perpendicular lines;
- Representation of data – pictogram, bar and pie charts.
- Frequency distribution – histogram and cumulative frequency distribution;
- Mode, median and mean;
- Range, mean deviation, and standard deviation;
- Simple probability and application.
PQE 023: Micro Teaching Theory
23. Principles and practices of functional micro teaching; Peer teaching.
- Origin, development, meaning, aim and scope of micro-teaching.
- Basic principles and phases.
- Components of micro-teaching and their values.
- Techniques/skills of micro-teaching.
- Functions of the student in a micro-teaching situation as a teacher, a learner, a source of
- feedback, an evaluator, a video operator, and an organiser of a micro-lesson session.
- The use of the micro-teaching laboratory.
- Merits and demerits of micro-teaching.
- Sessions of supervised micro-teaching.
Source: TRCN website
Download TRCN syllabus for PhD holders now
Click on the DOWNLOAD button below to start your instant download of the TRCN syllabus for PhD holders.
Do you have something to ask about this TRCN exam syllabus for PhD holders? Comment below and a staff or fellow ACADite will reply you.