Did you realize that in the previous year, 127 Nigerians were awarded the 2023 Chevening Commonwealth Scholarships to study for one-year master’s degrees at UK universities?
This highlights the rigorous selection process for this scholarship, as Chevening and Commonwealth Scholarships are granted to candidates displaying exceptional intellectual capabilities, leadership qualities, and a dedication to the progress of their native nation.
When we interviewed one of Commonwealth Scholar, Michael Oyedoyin, who will study Family and Child Psychology at the University of Chester, UK, said: Reflecting on my last two unsuccessful applications, I am assured that I did not adequately follow the application steps outline in Chevening Scholarship page”.
However, this website provides comprehensive details necessary for a successful application submission. We strongly recommend you follow our step by step application process to enhance your chances of being selected for the scholarship.
- 1 About the Chevening, Commonwealth Scholarships for Nigerians
- 2 What expenses are included in a Chevening Scholarship?
- 3 Who can Apply for UK 2024 Chevening, Commonwealth Scholarships?
- 4 How to Apply for UK 2024 Chevening Commonwealth Scholarships for Nigerians
- 5 What is the Application timeline for Chevening Nigeria Scholarship?
- 6 Interested in the Humphrey Fellowship Program? Learn More
About the Chevening, Commonwealth Scholarships for Nigerians
The Chevening Commonwealth Scholarships commenced in 1983 and sponsored by Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO) and partner organisations. Though it has evolved into a distinguished and fiercely competitive international awards initiative. Its achievements have resulted in a higher investment, with over 55,000 Chevening Alumni worldwide
This Master’s scholarship is fully funded and available to international students from over 160 countries and territories. Every year, 1,500 Commonwealth Scholars are awarded Chevening Scholarships.
However, Chevening represents the international scholarships and fellowships initiative sponsored by the UK government.
What expenses are included in a Chevening Scholarship?
The Chevening Programme offers a tailored engagement experience, creating opportunities for scholars to network with peers, alumni, high-profile speakers, and partner organizations. Award recipients receive:
- Payment of tuition fees
- Economy travel to and from their country of residence by an approved route for the scholar only
- An arrival allowance
- The cost of an entry clearance (visa) application for the scholar only
- A departure allowance
- A contribution of up to £75 for TB testing, if required
- A travel top-up allowance
- A monthly personal living allowance (stipend) covering accommodation and living expenses. The monthly stipend amount depends on whether the scholar is studying inside or outside London. These rates are subject to annual review.
Who can Apply for UK 2024 Chevening, Commonwealth Scholarships?
Incomplete or ineligible applications will not be considered. Hence, it’s crucial to verify that you meet our eligibility requirements before initiating your application.
To qualify for a Chevening Scholarship, you must:
- Be a citizen of a Chevening-eligible country or territory.
- Commit to returning to your country of citizenship for at least two years after completing the scholarship.
- Have completed all requirements for an undergraduate degree that allows entry into a postgraduate program at a UK university by the application deadline. Typically, this means having an upper second-class 2:1 honours degree in the UK, although specific requirements may vary based on your chosen course and university.
- Possess a minimum of two years (equivalent to 2,800 hours) of work experience.
- Apply to three different eligible UK university courses and receive an unconditional offer from one of these choices by the specified deadline on the application timeline.
You are ineligible for a Chevening Scholarship if you:
- Hold British or dual British citizenship (unless you are a citizen of a British Overseas Territory or hold BN(O) status and are applying from Hong Kong).
- Have refugee status in a non-Chevening eligible country. However, applicants holding refugee status in a Chevening-eligible country are eligible for the scholarship.
- Are a current or former employee, or a relative* of an employee of His Majesty’s Government, or have been within the last two years from the opening of Chevening applications. This includes various government departments and agencies, the British Council, sponsoring UK universities, and the Association of Commonwealth Universities.
- Have previously studied in the UK with funding from a UK Government-funded scholarship. However, having a master’s degree does not hinder you from applying for a Chevening Award for a second master’s degree in the UK, provided you can clearly explain how it aligns with your career plans to create positive change in your home country.
NOTE: All submitted applications undergo an electronic screening process against our eligibility criteria. Any applications found ineligible will be excluded from the selection process. For a list of common errors, please refer to the provided link. It’s important to note that once your application is submitted, retrospective changes are not possible.
How to Apply for UK 2024 Chevening Commonwealth Scholarships for Nigerians
Follow these steps to apply for the Chevening Scholarship:
- Select your country from the list provided, then click on Chevening Scholarship.
- Create an account on the platform.
- Enter your personal information in your profile, save the details, validate your profile, and begin your application.
- Take the quiz to confirm your eligibility for the scholarship.
- Fill out the application form with the required information and prepare the following documents:
- Academic transcripts and certificates.
- English language proficiency certificate.
- Conditional offers from potential study programs (up to three).
- Unconditional offers from potential study programs (up to three) (At least one unconditional offer must be uploaded by July).
- References (If you are selected for an interview, you will be asked to upload two references).
- Passport or ID document.
- Review your application and submit it.
What is the Application timeline for Chevening Nigeria Scholarship?
The selection of Chevening Scholars is a thorough process that spans a minimum of eight months, starting from the application deadline to the conditional selection of awardees. Here is an overview of the application and selection process to keep you informed about the proceedings.
Application starts from 12 SEPTEMBER 2023 and Ends on 7 NOVEMBER 2023.
Interested in the Humphrey Fellowship Program? Learn More
Do you have something to say about these UK 2024 Chevening, Commonwealth Scholarships for Nigerians? Comment below and a staff or fellow ACADite will reply you.
Feel free to share.