The American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is an esteemed honor established to acknowledge and assist exceptional international students who showcase leadership potential and a dedication to creating positive change in their communities.
This scholarship offers outstanding individuals the chance to pursue their higher education aspirations at American University in the United States.
According to Recipient of the 2022 American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship: Tarumbidzwa Chirume from Zimbabwe/South Africa.
Check out this scholarships:
- Stanford University Scholarships for International Students
- Harvard Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships for International Student in USA
- EDSF Scholarship Program for Student in Document Management and Graphic Communications
- Humphrey Fellowship Program for International Students in USA
- Google Lime Scholarship for Disabled Students in USA & Canada
- Berea College Scholarships for International Students
- AAUW International Fellowship Program
- Fulbright Foreign Student Scholarship Program in USA
- MasterCard Foundation Scholarship Awards Program
“This scholarship represents a little girl’s dream and a young woman’s purpose. This means not only an opportunity to pursue my studies at a prestigious university without financial worries but also the opportunity to pursue my desire to learn about international relations and justice in the heart of the nation’s capital. Thanks to this scholarship, the people I meet, the streets which I peruse, and the classes I take will shape me indelibly into the person I hope to become.”
This because, the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship fosters educational accessibility and opportunity while enriching global diversity.
Summary of American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship (AU EGLS) was established by Evelyn Levinson, the Director of International Admissions, in 2011. This scholarship aims to increase educational accessibility and opportunities for international undergraduate students, while also enriching AU’s global diversity.
These scholarship is aimed at accomplished international students aspiring to pursue a Bachelor’s Degree in the United States, demonstrating their commitment to fostering positive civic and social transformations.
Combining AU’s outstanding attributes—academic brilliance, leadership grooming, and global involvement—the AU Emerging Global Leader accomplishes, motivates, and contributes with a forward-looking approach. Committed to fostering positive societal and civic transformations, the AU EGL recipient is devoted to enhancing underprivileged communities in their home country upon their return.
The AU EGL scholarship can be renewed for a maximum of four years during undergraduate studies, contingent upon maintaining a satisfactory academic record. Students pursuing any major available at AU are eligible to apply.
What does the American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship Cover?
The AU EGL scholarship fully funds all billable expenses at AU, including:
- Room, and board,
- for one international student requiring a non-immigrant visa, preferably an F-1 or J-1 student visa, to study in the United States.
However, non-billable costs like mandatory health insurance, books, airline tickets, taxes, and miscellaneous expenses (approximately U.S.$4,000 per year) are not covered by the scholarship.
Note: There is only one AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship slot available for Fall 2024. If you are not chosen as the 2024 AU EGL recipient and want to proceed with the application, you may qualify for partial merit scholarships. However, you must provide evidence of additional funds beyond the initial U.S.$4,000 you submitted. The estimated expenses for the academic year 2024-2025 amount to U.S.$78,296.”
AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
You are not eligible to apply if:
- You are a U.S. citizen, U.S. permanent resident, U.S. pending permanent resident, or a dual citizen of the U.S. and another country.
- You are enrolled in or have already started post-secondary studies at another university in your home country or the United States.
- You graduated from secondary school before 2022.
- AU EGLS applicants must apply through Regular Decision for fall (August) 2024. Early Decision (ED) applications will not be accepted.
Preference will be given to:
- International students who have overcome various obstacles and challenges, as well as those from diverse and underrepresented global and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- A minimum 3.8 GPA equivalent out of 4.0 GPA (or in the top 10% of the graduating class) for 9th-12th grades.
- A demonstrated commitment to leadership, volunteerism, community service, and advancing the needs of people in their home country.
- Students meeting one of the following criteria:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (with all subscores at 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on the paper-based TOEFL (taken after May 31, 2017)
- 7.0+ IELTS (with all subscores at 6.0 or above)
- 33 minimum SAT Reading subscore
- 29 minimum ACT English score
- 65 minimum PTE score
- 125+ Duolingo score (with all subscores at 115 or above)
- Cambridge Assessment English score of 185 or higher (each sub-score must be 169 or higher).
- Students who are still enrolled in secondary/high school and will graduate by June 2024. Important: Students in the IB system should plan to graduate with a full IB diploma with at least 3 HL subjects. Students studying in the British A-Levels system must complete at least 3 A levels and finish 13 years of study before August 2024. Very Important: The AU EGLS selection process is highly competitive. Priority consideration will be given to AU EGLS applicants who complete the AU EGLS application, Common Application, and international admissions document submission process, including proof of English proficiency and a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000, by December 15, 2023.”
How to Submit Your Application for the American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
Please note: The application process has concluded for first-year students applying for fall 2023. Kindly check back in mid-September for details regarding the 2024 EGLS application.
- Complete the Online AU EGLS Application: The application will be accessible starting from September 15, 2023.
- Submit Financial Documentation: Provide a bank letter and the AU Certification of Finances (AU CFIS) form, each demonstrating a minimum of U.S.$4,000. You can upload these documents via your Future Eagle Portal or fax them to +1-202-885-1025. Examples of bank letters and the AU CFIS form template are available.
- Submit Official English Proficiency Scores: Submit your official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English, PTE, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score results by December 15, 2023, at the latest. Ensure the testing agency directly sends the official English proficiency score reports to American University, Undergraduate Admissions, Washington, District of Columbia. Note: Students cannot self-submit their results.
- Complete and Submit the Common or Coalition Application: Use the Common Application or Coalition Application and include all required documents as per the provided checklist. Submit your AU EGLS application packet by the priority deadline of December 15, 2023, or by January 15, 2024, at the latest. Please note that the preliminary AU EGLS application packet must include a bank letter confirming a minimum of US$4,000 (not US$78,296). Applications lacking all necessary documents by the deadline will not be reviewed.
- Additional Documentation for Certain Applicants: If you are applying through an EducationUSA-supported program or if you are a past FLEX or YES high school scholarship recipient from the U.S. Department of State, provide a letter from your EducationUSA center’s adviser confirming your candidacy. You can request the letter to be sent to email@example.com as a PDF.
Please be aware that if you are not chosen as one of the finalists, you may still be considered for admission to American University, Washington, DC, and could be eligible for partial merit scholarships. To continue the application process, you must submit proof of funds totaling U.S.$78,296 (estimated costs for the first year of study).”
Interested candidates for this American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship should visit here to – LEARN MORE.
We value your input, so please don’t hesitate to leave your comments below. Our team will promptly address your queries.
Stay informed about the latest scholarship news by visiting Acadite regularly.