Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) is renowned as one of the most globally diverse academic summer programs, lasting two weeks. It welcomes more than 2,000 students from 150+ countries and all 50 U.S. states. YYGS provides over $3 million USD in need-based financial aid to students, both domestic and international.
Are you a secondary school student in Africa aspiring to be a future leader and active citizen of the continent? Applying for the YYAS program will enable you to enhance your knowledge, build friendships with peers from various African countries, and gain direct access to university student mentors who will assist you in navigating the university admissions and financial aid application processes.
Yet, with a student body encompassing over 2,000 individuals from 150+ countries and all 50 U.S. states, YYGS provides more than $3 million USD in need-based financial aid to students, both domestic and international.
According to Janine, YYGS Alumna, Ghana “Before the beginning of YYGS, I remember feeling nervous and questioned how the event would run. But, by day two, I realized that I didn’t need to worry. The YYGS Program questioned things I thought I knew, scratched beyond the surface level, and helped me effectively communicate my ideas and opinions. I’ve grown with a community of inspiring students, dedicated staff, and passionate professors. Words couldn’t even begin to describe this experience, but I am beyond grateful.”
Check out this scholarships:
- Iowa State University Approved International Scholarships
- First Year Clark Merit Scholarships for International Students
- American University Emerging Global Leader Scholarship for International Students
- Stanford University Scholarships for International Students
- Harvard Academy Postdoctoral Fellowships for International Student in USA
- EDSF Scholarship Program for Student in Document Management and Graphic Communications
- Humphrey Fellowship Program for International Students in USA
- Google Lime Scholarship for Disabled Students in USA & Canada
- Berea College Scholarships for International Students
- AAUW International Fellowship Program
“Find information about YYAS 2024 and application instructions here as the YYAS 2024 application is currently open.
Eligibility Criteria for Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program
To apply to YYGS, applicants MUST meet the following criteria:
- Age: Be between 16-18 years old by July 21, 2024 (first day of Session III).
- English Fluency: Have the ability to engage in a rigorous academic curriculum conducted in English.
- Grade Level: Be a current high school sophomore or junior (or international equivalent).
- Graduation Date: Be set to graduate in May/June 2025 or 2026 from the Northern Hemisphere, or in Nov./Dec. 2024 or 2025 from the Southern Hemisphere.
- YYGS Participation: Be a first-time participant in YYGS. Previous attendance in YYGS sessions during prior summers (up to 2023) disqualifies applicants from participating in YYGS 2024.
Note: If you applied to YYGS before but were not admitted or couldn’t attend, and you meet the eligibility criteria mentioned above, you are encouraged to re-apply for YYGS 2024.
Please be aware that these age restrictions are in place to comply with regulations for running a summer program for minors, and no exceptions can be made.
YYGS welcomes applications from ALL countries and offers the opportunity for students from ALL countries to apply for need-based financial aid.
Types of Yale Young African Scholars (YYGS) Scholarships
Scholarships available for the 2024 YYGS sessions include:
1. Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Alumni Scholarship: This scholarship is granted to students who completed the YYAS program in any summer prior to 2024. It covers complete tuition and travel expenses, allowing recipients to attend any of the YYGS sessions offered in 2024.
2. Young Leaders (YL) Scholarship: The YL Scholarship is open to students in the U.S. and internationally who self-identify as at least one of the following:
- Black or African American (including Africa and the Caribbean)
- Hispanic and/or Latino/Latina/Latinx
- Members of Indigenous peoples, nations, and/or communities
This scholarship also includes full tuition and travel costs, enabling students to participate in any of the YYGS sessions available in 2024.
Yale Young African Scholars (YYAS) Program Prize
These scholarships will cover the entire tuition fees and travel expenses, enabling students to attend any of the YYGS sessions available in 2024.
How to Submit Your Application for Yale Young African Scholars
Application Steps for YYGS:
Step 1: Familiarize yourself with the YYGS eligibility criteria.
Step 2: Review the required components for the YYGS application.
Step 3: Study a sample blank application (available in PDF format) and start preparing your answers for as many application questions as possible.
Step 4: Gather contact information for a parent/guardian, teacher, or school official. Share the sample blank application with them and collect the necessary information.
Completing the Application:
Step 5: Click on “APPLY NOW” to initiate your YYGS application. Make sure to note down your email and password for future access.
Step 6: Review the “Review” page of the application to ensure all required components are included. Address any pages that require additional information.
Step 7: After completing your application, go to the “Review” page and click on the “Submit Application” button located at the bottom of the page.
Step 8: Access your Applicant Status Portal and pay the application fee of $70 USD for Early Action or $85 USD for Regular Decision*. Note that all YYGS application fees are non-refundable. If you have applied for a fee waiver, monitor your Applicant Status Portal for the approval status. If denied, your application will be reviewed upon payment of the YYGS application fee.
Step 9: Keep an eye on your inbox for a YYGS confirmation receipt, confirming the successful submission of your application. Confirmation emails are typically sent within 24-48 hours of submission, although occasional payment processing delays might occur.
Deadline: To be eligible for the scholarships listed below, you must have finished the entire YYGS Application online, including the section for Need-Based Financial Aid, before January 10, 2024.
Kindly note that there is no fee associated with applying for or participating in YYAS. Although we use the same online application form as our affiliated program, YYGS, the fee section is applicable only to students applying for both programs and specifically for YYGS. If you are solely interested in applying for YYAS, please ignore the financial aid section of the application.
We appreciate your input, so feel free to share your comments below. Our team will respond to your inquiries promptly.
Stay up-to-date with the latest scholarship news by visiting Acadite regularly.